Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Jeremiah 4: Necessary Nurturing

If you would like information about SOAP journaling, please see here.

Scripture
(I couldn't pick just one today, so there's three!

Jeremiah 4:1-2
“If you, Israel, will return,
   then return to me,”
            declares the LORD.
“If you put your detestable idols out of my sight
   and no longer go astray,
2 and if in a truthful, just and righteous way
   you swear, ‘As surely as the LORD lives,’
then the nations will invoke blessings by him
   and in him they will boast.”

Jeremiah 4:18
Your own conduct and actions
   have brought this on you.
This is your punishment.
   How bitter it is!
   How it pierces to the heart!”

Jeremiah 4:28
Therefore the earth will mourn
   and the heavens above grow dark,
because I have spoken and will not relent,
   I have decided and will not turn back.”
Observation
God wanted the people of Israel to be righteous - He didnt want to punish His people, but He is a God of His word, and could not turn back even though it hurt him to punish his people.

Application
I don't like to punish my children.  I often leave a lot of it to my hubby.  In order for my children to learn to be Godly, I need to punish them when they disobey.  The temporary pain is much less than the consequences of inaction.

Prayer
Lord, please help me to raise my children the way you want me to; to bring up children that love You and your word and that respect their elders, as well as their peers.
In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment